Thursday, September 12, 2013

In Four Weeks...

...my life will be a million times calmer.

The October LSAT is coming up in three weeks and two days (WHAT?! HOW?!). This is my absolute last shot before I apply to schools and I'm determined to knock it out of the park, but my work/extracurricular schedule has been so crazy lately that it's difficult to cram more study time in! I really envy the people that are only studying for the LSAT and aren't doing anything else this summer. Unfortunately, that just isn't me.

My pre-law fraternity's rush week is coming up soon as well. I've been diligently preparing since the beginning of July, but apparently it wasn't enough since everything needs to be done right now. Room reservation dilemma! Designing and ordering flyers! Getting quotes for our T-shirt order! Filming and editing our promotional video! Countless (okay fine, 45) emails to potential rushees! And trying to deal with a severely limited budget on top of all that... If I didn't like my oh-so-manageable hair so much, I'd be pulling it out right now. Oh well - in four weeks, rush week will have ended and the biggest part of my fall duties as Public Relations Chair will be finished.

Work is the only thing that won't be over by then, but it will at least be easier to deal with. Right now I'm trying to juggle peer advisor training, too many campus tours, and the occasional Mondavi show (three next week, ouch). Once school starts I'm cutting my tours way back so that I can mostly focus on peer advising and Mondavi shows, leaving me at 20 hours or less of work per week. Plus some unpaid lab managing time, which will also be easier once the quarter starts since I won't have to worry about interviewing/hiring/training our new research assistants (yet another task that's been consuming my life for the past few weeks).

Yet part of me is thinking, Yes, but what about school? Classes start in two weeks and I don't exactly have a light course load this quarter. Advanced Arabic, Ancient Mesopotamian History, Cognitive Neuroscience, and Post-WWII U.S. History... plus finishing up both my Psychology and International Relations honors theses. 23 units total. It's extremely naïve of me to think that my life will be calmer in four weeks when that's the exact point my classes will become more time-consuming. But still, I need to take life one step - or four weeks - at a time, so for now I'll just focus on getting through rush and the LSAT. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment