Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Reflections

In preparation for my eight-year blog birthday coming up on Thursday (WOW!), I've spent the past hour reading old blog posts. I've changed so much in eight years, yet so much is the same. My observations:
 
1. My goodness, I was an angst-filled teenager! My eighth grade entries make me laugh and cringe.
2. I miss the days when I got 102% on every math test, I had time to read for pleasure during the school year, and my biggest concern was if what boy I was/wasn't crushing on did/didn't talk to me that week.
3. Even back as a high school freshman, I knew that every point mattered... a 92 was very different from a 97, even if both counted as an A back then!
4. My Spanish II teacher? Definitely showed up to class hungover once a week. That sophomore boy who scared me so much when I was a shy, impressionable freshman? He probably thought I was cute (which does explain his borderline sexual harassment). Oh, the things you see in hindsight...
5. On March 22, 2008, I said that I wanted to go to a "small, private, liberal arts college." Yet five years later, I'm happily attending a large public research university (and a science-oriented school at that)! Silly 16-year-old Christine.

Moving back to the present, the past several days have been enjoyable and relaxing. I was home for the weekend visiting family and got to see a couple of my friends from high school (the highlight was definitely dinner at a fancy steakhouse my friend works at, regrettably watching Elysium after dinner, and then heading back to the steakhouse for dessert after vowing we were too full to ever eat again). I drove back up to Davis on Sunday night in my "new car" (a 1996 Honda Accord, formerly my grandmother's, that I just bought off my parents) and got some work/errands done on Monday while waiting for my boyfriend to get back from Mexico. We saw The Wolverine together last night, which was thankfully much better than Elysium. Then again, Marvel can't really do wrong as far as I'm concerned!

I'll leave you with a few facts that my newest blog readers may not know...

1. I was a huge fan of roleplaying sites in 10th grade - probably a mix of my theater and writing passions! I even ran my own site for a bit one summer. (Jaedris, anyone?)
2. I started a fansite for a Swedish pop group as a 7th grader. Shout-out to Play!
3. I am the champion of ultimate hide-and-seek (also known as Counselor Hunt for day camp purposes). I once disguised myself as a bag of shirts and hid on top of an air vent. Quite successfully, I might add.

One fact that I'm sure all of my readers know? I love lists, as you can see from the above post.

No comments:

Post a Comment