Thursday, September 8, 2011

Welcome (Back) to Davis!

I've finally moved back to Davis and am three days into my resident advisor fall training (which is a two-week long training session all the RAs go through - INTENSE but really fun).

I moved in on Saturday afternoon after a family brunch in the morning. My new room is huge - it's seriously the biggest room I have ever had to myself. It has an amazing view of the courtyard as well, plus my bed is a windowseat. I'll have to post pictures sometime. So essentially, life back in the residence halls is amazing.

I got to see a lot of friends over the weekend, plus I went to Borders to take advantage of their going-out-of-business sales. I bought three books (including a hardcover) and a DVD for $21. Definitely proud of myself. I also got four books from the library to read, so I'm going to have to find time to read over the next two weeks before classes start. It'll be hard since I don't have a ton of free time with my RA training.

So training started on Tuesday morning, bright and early at 8:00 and ending at 9:00 that night. OUCH. Luckily we've been finishing at 5:00 or 6:00 the past couple of days, so the 13-hour day was a one-time thing. We have various sessions on educational resources, programming, communities, diversity, etc. I absolutely love the staff members on my team (the two other RAs in my residence hall plus the ones in the two other buildings in our area). I'm struggling to get to know all the other RAs (about 100 total for the entire campus) but I'm still meeting a lot of people outside my staff. I'm both excited and nervous for when the freshmen move in next weekend! I can't wait to meet all of them, but I'm such a perfectionist that I want to make sure I get everything right and that I'm being the best RA possible for them. Definitely a lot of pressure to be placing on myself.

Not sure how much I'll be blogging over the next two weeks, but I'll try to post an update again sometime before classes start! This is the first free night I've had all week so we'll see how that goes...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that you're gonna be the best RA on campus dear! Mine at Alfred suck, terribly. :(

    13 hour training though? Even though it was one time, OUCH.

    I've heard of one Borders store in New York going out of business as well. Are all of the Borders going out of business, or is it just a store here and there?

    ReplyDelete