Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lucky Number 13: A Year in Review

As 2013 finally comes to a close I want to take some time to reflect on this crazy, crazy year. I was busier than ever with classes, jobs, law school prep, extracurricular activities (Phi Alpha Delta never fails to take over my life), research, boys, traveling, and my semblance of a social life.

The Highs:
  1. Studying abroad in Cairo for two weeks and witnessing the revolution/coup
  2. Being elected to Phi Beta Kappa
  3. Participating in the Student Conference on U.S. Affairs at West Point
  4. Serving as Public Relations Chair for my fraternity and coordinating our most successful fall rush in years
  5. Managing to get straight As while taking 24 units
  6. Welcoming two amazing new little siblings to my fraternity family (as well as new grandlittles, great-grandlittles, and my first great-great-grandlittle!)
  7. My new position as the International Relations peer advisor and new duties as a house manager for Mondavi
  8. Turning 21 and learning that yes, you can stay classy while drinking... 95% of the time
Probably the highlight of my life - camel ride by the Pyramids
Visiting the Sultan Hassan mosque in Cairo
Spring Banquet with my lovely pre-fall family
My third little, Nicole - she's the cutest!!!
My fourth little, Fredrick - he's the biggest disappointment and also my favorite (shhh)
But at least he can rock a bowtie!
The Lows:
  1. My apartment burned down and I was not compensated for my lost items... can't really get much lower than this
  2. Three disheartening LSAT scores
  3. Getting the flu twice and at the worst possible moments (during February midterm season and just days before the LSAT, and right before I was supposed to go to Cabo with my then-boyfriend)
  4. Not finishing either honors thesis by the end of fall quarter
  5. Disappointing myself academically in spring and fall, after a surprisingly stellar winter quarter
  6. Sinking into a downward spiral these past two months and realizing that I didn't really know who I was anymore
    Not a "low" photo... but look how happy I was in 2011!
The year is ending on a mostly positive note. I've spent the past two days working on my personal statement (finally, right?!) and I'm really happy with how it's turning out. I'll be ready to submit my first batch of applications tomorrow to Penn, Duke, Georgetown, and NYU. (More schools coming up later this week - I haven't forgotten about Berkeley, Stanford, and Michigan!) I'm turning applications in nearly two months later than I had intended, but I think I needed to take this time to lose myself, find myself, and affirm that I really do want to go to law school next fall instead of taking a year off.

Although my winter break to-do list hasn't gotten much shorter over the past few days, I'm feeling rested (if sick - I came down with a cold yesterday!) and empowered to take on winter quarter. We'll see how long that lasts, but for now... 2014, I'm ready for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment