Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Set Fire to the Rain... and Lost My Apartment

For those of you who don't know, my life went up in flames last week (literally). There was a fire at my apartment complex last Monday and my apartment was one of nine that was hit. Although I didn't lose too much of my stuff to the actual fire, the clothing I recovered reeked of smoke for about four wash cycles and I can't get the rest of my stuff back due to asbestos concerns. Last week definitely wasn't the best in my college career, to say the least...

I do have a new apartment as of last Friday, so right now I'm just trying to deal with school, work, and waiting for A) my LSAT score! and B) my apartment complex to finally contact me to say how much of my belongings are salvageable. I still have all of my books inside, furniture, more clothing and shoes, jewelry, and important paperwork. I will likely have to file a claim for damages, considering the fire was the complex's fault and our smoke detector never went off, but I'm still hoping for the best and praying that I can get most of my stuff back.

My new apartment is starting to grow on me. It was built in the 1960s so it's pretty run down and has all linoleum flooring (no carpet), which took some getting used to... but I have my own room and live on campus, so I really can't complain. We also have a cute patio area, a huge kitchen, and a beautiful tree/grass-filled complex so there are definitely a lot of perks. I'm sure I'll love it in the spring and summer, when the lack of carpet will cool down the apartment and I can sit on the grass studying/sunbathing!

With all of the apartment craziness, school has been pretty rough lately. I had to ask for an extension on one of my papers (I never wanted to be that person) and on a bunch of Arabic homework. I took two midterms this week that I felt entirely unprepared for. But as always, I'm hoping for the best and I'm sure I'll pull it together by the end of the quarter.

In case anyone was wondering: the LSAT went okay even though I had the flu that whole week, or at least okay enough that I didn't feel the need to cancel my score. I'm going to retake it in June if I didn't pull at least a 171, though. I'll be putting together my law school applications over the summer and should have my final list of schools by early July! T-14 or bust...

No comments:

Post a Comment