Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Don't You Love Bureaucracy?

Happy August! Only a month and a half before I leave for D.C. and I'm practically counting down the days. I have a separate D.C. blog set up (Christine in Washington) to talk about my experiences there, although of course I'll still be updating D&A.

Some good news - my double major paperwork finally went through and I am officially declared International Relations and Psychology! My Facebook friends might know that I originally filed for my double major back in mid-June, but the dean's office lost my paperwork so I had to re-file last week. I just got the approved form in the mail and I am good to go!

Some amusing and slightly bad news - the dean's office also mailed me a degree check and is trying to tell me that my upper division writing requirement wasn't fulfilled. I took Legal Writing back in winter, which fulfilled the requirement, but supposedly I hadn't completed 84 units at the time (a condition for taking the class) and the dean's office is telling me the class no longer counts towards the writing requirement. They forgot to factor in my 20 units of AP credit, which put me at 94 units (while they think I had 74). FAIL. At least it should be an easy fix, assuming I can get an appointment with the dean's office anytime soon - unlikely, since they prioritize students with real problems instead of students who aren't graduating for two more years that fell victim to clerical errors. As they should.

On another note, I've been doing a lot of law school research lately. Pretty much any school in the top 20 is on my radar, if not on my potential application list. I'll take some law school tours when I'm on the East Coast for the fall - made easier by the fact that I'm spending Thanksgiving break with my cousins in New England - although technically I won't narrow my list down until I take the LSAT in February and know which schools I should be targeting. I have an idea of what my GPA will be like after next year and it's pretty heartening, especially since any A+ I get counts as a 4.33 for law school so all the A-minuses I've been getting aren't hurting me as badly as they could.

It's strange to think I'll be applying in law school in just a little over a year from now. I've practically been preparing since high school, but it just seems so soon. I know everything will work out in the end, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment