Friday, September 21, 2012

One Week Down, Ten to Go

I made it through the first week of my internship! It's been absolutely exhausting. The office is very hectic and it's been hard to learn everything - acronyms, current events, even how to get around! But things have slowly been getting better. I've gotten to attend a lot of really interesting meetings and I'm finally being given more responsibility. I can tell it's going to be a busy quarter, since I've been working 9-hour days all week with no real lunch break. Preview of what's to come if I work in a law firm, maybe?
I've had to venture way outside of my comfort zone this week. First of all, COOKING. After two years of eating food from the dining commons, I'm not enjoying cooking all my meals. I've had a couple of dinners consisting of oatmeal or a large salad, just because it's easy and I'm too tired after getting home from work. Another new thing for me was taking the Metrobus everywhere. I'm finally learning how unreliable DC public transportation can be... I ended up walking to and from work a couple of times, just because the buses took too long to come! Lastly, I've gotten to take a taxi for the first time (while going to an embassy on an internship errand). I don't spend enough time in big cities to have taken one before, so that's something I can cross off my bucket list. Not that I have a bucket list... but if I did have one, taking a taxi might have been on there. Maybe.

Other than work and all these new additions to my life (some welcome, some not), I've been busy with Global Law Brigades and the Psych lab I'm managing. I also started classes last night (with my Washington Ethics elective), so soon I'll have to get back to school-mode again. It'll be hard finding the energy to devote to everything, but I'm confident I can do it as long as I can catch up on sleep over the weekends! I can't exactly sleep until noon this weekend with all the site-seeing I have planned, but I should be able to recharge a bit regardless.



No comments:

Post a Comment